I’d like to think I’m pretty easy to please, but to tell you the truth, I’m kind of a book snob. Not in the way you’d think though. So without further ado, I give you the Top 10 Ways to Hook Me as a Reader.
- Screw the rules. I don’t care about the “rules” of writing so much as I care about things being enjoyable. Jump into the story or give me a prologue that gives me some back story. Just make it good and interesting.
- A good cover. Yes, I judge books by their cover. I don’t like cheesy old-fashioned Harlequin Romance-looking covers. I’m not a huge fan of the half-naked headless body cover either. I just want it to be appealing to the eye, have nice colors, and not go overboard with the design. Even a cover with no picture makes me happy if I like the font. 🙂
- Great dialogue. I’m a sucker for good dialogue. I don’t care for teens who have ridiculously huge vocabularies and sound like adults. I just want people to talk like normal folks.
- Awesome kid characters. I’m a sucker for a super adorable kid in a book. The quirkier the better.
- Realistic setting. I enjoy books set in places that I know, as long as they don’t screw it up. LOL If I’m reading YA, I want to see adults popping in every so often instead of there being no adults around.
- Animals. Okay, this one isn’t a given, but a funny pet can be a great hook. Not a talking animal, but one who causes some silly moments. One of my favorite characters I’ve ever written is a dog named Vinnie. 🙂
- Characters to fall in love with. No needlessly cocky guys, or girls, and thinly veiled abusive personalities. Just genuine characters with real problems, real feelings, and real real-ness.
- Comic relief. I love a good drama but I can’t stand when it’s serious from start to finish. No one is happy 24/7, even in the worst situations.
- A favorite author. Once I fall in love with an author I’ll pretty much read anything they write.
- A series. If it’s good, and doesn’t lose its steam (ahem, Anita Blake), I will read a series like a crazy person. I love to revisit known characters over and over again. I won’t, however continue a series just because it’s a series. I have to actually enjoy it.
There you have it! Now let’s see what the other ladies have on their lists.