Ah, distractions… I have many. 🙂 There’s pretty much always something getting in my way of doing the things I want to do. So much, in fact, that I often wonder who the heck is in charge of my life because it doesn’t seem like it’s me!
When it comes to writing though, my top five writing distractions are:
* Me – Probably the biggest thing that gets in the way of my writing is my own head. I’ll sit down to write and my head will think of ten bazillion reasons why I shouldn’t be writing or why I suck at writing or all of the other things I should be doing instead of writing. Yeah, my head can be a pretty busy place.
* Work – You’ve heard me talk about the woes of my job. On call 24/7, no set schedule, near constant crisis mode, and tons of paperwork. Need I say more?
* Family – It seems like when I finally do have some time to sit and write, one family member or another is needing or wanting my attention. Right now, for example I’m doing an overnight with my monsters and just as I sat down to write this, the youngest monster suddenly wanted to know how many dollars 50,000 pennies would be. 🙂 Now he’s telling me how good his best friend is at Guitar Hero. :p
* Pain/Fatigue – Let’s just say that having chronic pain sucks ass. I can be in the mood to write but my body physically can’t do it. Either my tendonitis is flaring up and my fingers hurt, or I have a migraine, or every joint in my body hurts. Then there’s the fatigue that comes with chronic illness. When I’d like to write but I’m simply all out of energy for the day.
* Moving – Okay, this isn’t a regular occurrence, thank goodness! But this week, it’s getting in the way. This week I have three days of work, then I’m off for a week for moving purposes. So we’re packing and purging and cleaning and planning, oh my! Friday we get the keys to our new place and start moving things over the weekend. So next week when it comes time for my blog post, I’ll be doing it in a whole new place!
And there you have it… five things that get in my way! Have a great week!