This week we’re talking about the things we need in order to get our writing done. Let’s be honest… I haven’t written creatively in a long time. But if I think back to those olden days when I did write, these are the top five things I needed.
1. Time – Yes I know, we make time for the things we love blah blah blah… I’ve spoken ad nauseum about my job and how it’s a major time suck. I may have time, but I don’t have much free time.
2. Music – I don’t always write to music, but there are times when I need it either to drown out other sounds or for inspiration. I’m big on listening to a song on repeat if it has inspired a scene.
3. Noise – If I’m not listening to music I need sound. I can’t write in silence. Uninteresting tv in the background works well, as does playing a movie I’ve seen a billion times and don’t need to look at to “watch.” My favorite writing background noise is the sounds found at Starbucks. I loooove writing at Starbucks.
4. Caffeine – Duh… Coffee is always good, but pop works too. (Yes, I’m from Michigan, we call it “pop” not “soda.)
5. Notes – I’m not a plotter by any means. I often have no idea where my stories are going until I write them. But I love notebooks and will often jot down scene ideas, names, character bio’s, timelines, etc.
Next weekend I’ll be off to Michigan’s beautiful Upper Peninsula for a week long writer’s retreat with Bron, Jenny, Kris, Leigh, and Jessica… I can’t wait to have a whole week of time to write! Although like I told the girls recently, if I don’t write a damn thing all week it’ll be okay because I’ll have a week away from work with lots of giggling. 🙂
You know the drill… Comment below (because I’m a comment whore), and check out the girls to see what they need to come up with their amazing fiction!